Latest Event Updates
Many of the products we buy everyday are made by a child who is forced to work. Especially our shoes. As a class we have discussed the issues of child labour and the countries that allow it. Below contribute your letter to the editor explaining your viewpoint on the topic. Remember to include not only your arguments, but also the evidence to back them up.
I finally got a video copy of our drama project Paddle to the Sea that we performed at the Community Auditorium. Thanks to Lila for all the work she put into this awesome production. Enjoy the video!
We have spent a great deal of time looking at Anthony Browne’s book Voices in the Park this week. Our biggest learning was about point of view and perspective. We saw how one event can look so different to each individual. We learned that it is important to think of another’s perspective in order to better understand their actions and thinking. As a concluding activity I would like us to answer at least one or as many of the questions below to get you to express your opinion and ideas in writing.
1. Whose point of view is missing from this book? What would their point of view be like for this event in the park? Use information from the text and your own ideas to support your thinking.
2. Explain why the perspectives of the four characters is so different for this event. What may be behind the different points of view? Use information from the text and your own ideas to support your thinking.
3. Which character are you most like and why? Use examples from the text and your own ideas to support your thinking.
4. How do the illustrations help show the point of view of each character? Use examples from the text and your own ideas to support your thinking.
5. What do you think is the symbolism or meaning of all the hats in Charles’s voice? Why are all the clouds, a tree, and the lamp posts all shaped like his mother’s hat? Use information from the text and your own ideas to support your thinking.
Students have posted recounts of what they thought were their most exciting experiences while at Kingfisher Outdoor Education Centre.
We had an absolute blast! Arctic blast that is. It was freezing, but so much fun. I hope you enjoy the video of our adventure.
We spent the last few weeks studying various media forms and how they work. As a culminating activity we created our own Public Service Announcements using iMovie. Enjoy!
Many of the music videos produced today and watched by kids are not appropriate. The values they contain are often very negative. They focus on unrealistic and negative values, however, we do live in a free country that is based on freedom of expression! So what do you think, should music videos be censored? Should we be sheltering our youth from these negative influences? Or, should we allow freedom of expression and the right to view this inappropriate content?